Sunday, September 22, 2013

Anyone who knows me, knows I have a thing for Mexican food. If I go too long without I start getting irritable. My stomach is notorious for cramping, constipation and wrenching from much of the everyday foods other people eat (like bread, cheese, eggs, and the list goes on). Mexican food like a lot of ethnic type foods has a minimal amount off the things that I can't seem to stomach and a maximal amount of the stuff that seems to make me feel good! And I don't mean the Taco Bell style stuff that can cause internal bleeding for me...but the home cooked, So Cal infused, throw together stuff that makes the house smell yummy and causes me to bring out the tequila and dejected looking lemons at the bottom of my fruit basket. Now I live in Canada right now not Cali so most of the ingredients are either contraband (I hope border control is not reading this) or home made (for better of for worse), but this is food that even my picky donut eating family has come to love and a few of the men in my clan have even been given coveted cooking rights to. 1 example is my favorite...Manly Man Salsa Fresca.

This gets my my stove averse husband something to do that both of us can ooh and ahh over when it is ready...and the chopping seems to work out some kind of tension or aggression (my husband likes to take the hammer to defunct cell phones when we upgrade which is really bad for the environment but somehow manly???) And he can do this while watching TV (there aren't many of those tasks he can do that with).
also This is a great way to use up wrinkly looking tomatoes you find lurking in the back of the fridge or a bounty of tomatoes for the garden or farmers markets

Manly Salsa Fresca

12 tomatoes (any kind will do but my husband insists on beefsteak looking things)
2 medium sized onions
1 whole jalapeƱo
1/4 c. Lemon juice
Salt
Pepper
Cilantro leaves

1. Chop all veggies
2. Throw in a large bowl and pour on the lemon juice
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
4. Mix and mash together
5. Let sit while you find the bag of chips
6. Taste add salt if it needs it
7. Serve it up
8. Ask yourself was that easy enough...uh yeah!

PS: you can double this for a party or cut it for less but this salsa gets better tasting as it sits and stews ffor a few days and you'll have a great 0 points WW snack when you get home from work for a,few days!






No comments:

Post a Comment